Everything Under the Sun

Designed and stitched by Joanne Grimes
Size: 16" x 16"
Fabric: muslin or coarse weave cotton (it's just a guess)
Thread: 2 strand embroidery floss
Stitches: Stem, French Knot, Couching, Back

I told you I'd be back soon. I'm in a stitching mood so I'm doing another embroidery project.
    Click on a day to see progress:
  • Sep 9, 2014
  • Sep 8, 2014
  • Sep 7, 2014
  • Sep 6, 2014
  • Sep 5, 2014
  • Sep 4, 2014
  • Sep 2, 2014
  • Sep 1, 2014
  • Aug 29, 2014
  • Aug 28, 2014
  • Aug 27, 2014
  • Aug 26, 2014
  • Aug 25, 2014
  • Aug 24, 2014
  • Aug 23, 2014
  • Aug 22, 2014

  • Aug 22


    The circled design is the one I'm going to work on.

    Here's the fabric. I think it's muslin or something. It has a rough homespun feel to it.


    The design... I don't plan to stitch the hand overlay though. That was part of some ancient gradeschool project.


    And here's how far I got today. I'm doing the usual draw and pick the colors as I work.


    Aug 23

    I decided to do a graduation of color from element to element. I'm working with 2 strand embroidery floss. I use washable marker to draw out my lines.


    Aug 24

    I drew quite a bit of the design out because I want to avoid touching the floss with the marker. It takes at least one extra wash to get the marker out of the floss than from the fabric. Also the marker is roughly two strands wide so I don't have to factor in design element overlap.


    Aug 25

    I am continuing the darkening of the blue shades as I do each element. I'm using pretty simple stitches, too. I forget the names of the stitches. I'll look them up later. The design is too fancy to make the stitches fancy. That would be overkill.


    Aug 26


    Around and around I go. It's getting darker, too.


    Aug 27

    These little expanding curvy fans are tedious, so I only got half done. The bigger this thing gets the longer it takes to complete a round.


    Aug 28


    Whew! Finally done with the fans.


    Aug 29

    Well as you can see I can't do complete rounds since a round won't fit into the hoop anymore, so now I get to do the last 10 or so rounds as big sections divided into elements. I am fading the colors from dark blue to green to a white green at the end.


    Sep 1

    Well after a couple days off I am back at the stitching. I was able to get enough done so that I could move the hoop.


    Sep 2

    Got a leeetle bit more done, but not much and I moved the hoop again. This is about the point in the project that I suddenly discover that there are other things to do in life. ha


    Sep 4

    I'm still chugging along. It's kind of hard to tell that I did anything, so you might have to compare the pic above with today's pic.


    Sep 5


    I finished up one section and moved the hoop again. That's about all I really got done today


    Sep 6


    I am repeating myself quite a bit here. Finished a section, moved the hoop...


    Sep 7

    Woohoo! I'm just about done with the stitching. I signed my name and moved the hoop for the last time. I have two colors left to sew on.


    Sep 8

    All the colors are done. This is what the back looks like. The white is the piece I'm machine sewing to the red design. The white piece is sort of a canvas plastic weave. I'm just guessing.

    ooh you're in for a treat. I have two pics to look at from today. So I'm adding a soft fluffy yarn border. Since I don't usually use a ruler I don't always end up with perfect squares and circles. It's the nature of how like to do my embroidery art. Yup, it's an excuse, but I'm sticking to it.


    Sep 9


    All done!