Quilt: Prism Stardust

Prism Stardust

      This is my personal design that I have been working on for about a year. The quilt is based off of the design sketch pictured below. It is entirely pieced and hand quilted. It is 90" x 90". There are over a 1000 pieces and some are as small as a fingernail. The border is made of scraps from the piecing and the black braid is an entire skein of yarn braided in an 8 strand crocodile ridge. My daughter Trinity was the detangler while I braided. It took us 3 days and 206 verses of "This old man he played knick knack paddy wack", but we got it done! All the fabric is clothing from our local thrift store. I worked with everything from Packer t-shirts to polyester skirts. This is the first time I quilted the top instead of tying it. It was also the first time I had the colors picked out before we went shopping. It was fun matching the clothes to the colors on the template sketch.  I made this particular piece for display, but it can be used as a full size light bed quilt. I worked on this from March 2012 until early April 2013.

Shows & Awards:
First Fiber Arts Biennale: Wisconsin State of the Art 2013
        Wisconsin Museum of Quilts and Fiber Arts

Art of the Quilter III 2014 - Walls of Wittenberg
        Best of Show- Bed Quilt Category
        
Darting Needles 16th Biennial Quilt Show: The Many Sides of Quilting
         2nd Place in Category 12 - Art Quilts, over 100" perimeter

Prism Stardust template sketch

     Above is my design that became the final template for the Prism Stardust quilt. 

Prism Stardust original sketch

     This is my original design that inspired the Prism Stardust quilt. I had to do some modifications so that I could completely piece the quilt. I sketched this around 1992.