Through the TARDIS Window

Through the TARDIS Window
original sketch
starting the actual size template
closeup

closeup
 details:
design-Joanne Grimes
entirely pieced
quilted by Joanne Grimes with hand embroidery decorative top stitching and machine in-the-ditch stitching.
size-50" x 55"
"Through the TARDIS window" is a wonderful example of the unpredictability of my sketches. When I do a sketch I don't have any thought in mind of an end product. I just fill the page with lines and whatnot and when I'm done I take a step back. Then I can start to see what it might look like in fabric. When I went to work on the quilt I envisioned the sketch as a stained glass window in an abandoned stone castle with flowers nearly taking over the window and castle walls.
When I showed the finished quilt to a friend she saw trees sharing the same foliage in the center area.
 Then when I took pics and hung it on the wall my daughter and I saw the Doctor Who intro of the TARDIS hurling through space. I went with the last thing I saw before I went goofy trying to figure out a title. 
Now all of you may see something completely different so tell me what you see.
P.S. Sorry there are no 'in process' photos except for the very start. The kids took the camera with them to Grandma & Grandpa's for the month I was working on this quilt.