Flower Bed Star for Blogger's Quilt Festival

AmysCreativeSide.comFlower Bed Star
 This quilt started is my 2nd attempt at adding 3d embellishments to a pieced quilt. I machine quilted the middle section and then hand quilted the flowery, sea green and grey-blue sections. I purposely leave things a little puffy, because the puffiness adds character and a vintage look. Otherwise (IMHO) quilts look like rugs and I'm not making a rug. The machine quilting was done in the ditch while the hand quilting was stitched around the flowers and the plain sections were made to look pebbly. 
       As is my habit I only used thrift store clothing for fabrics which were already in my little box, so I didn't actually have to go on a shopping trip at all for this one. I even figured out how to flatten and find layers in a bunch of old pillow stuffings and use it for batting. By the way the pillow stuffing was what I took out of my embroidery pieces. They used to be pillows. The hanging sleeve on the back of the quilt is the legs off of a pair of jeans. The whole process from start to finish can be seen in the original post here.

Size: 62" x 62"
Design: Joanne Grimes
Quilting both machine & hand: Joanne Grimes
Embellishments: Joanne Grimes